After months, maybe even years of courting and being with your significant other, it’s time you take your relationship to the next level. Yes, it’s time to get married: dress in your best, walk down the aisle, and promise to be together in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, ’till death do you part.
You want to make this moment special, but it seems that every wedding proposal idea has already been done. A lot of people have already found a ring inside a slice of cake, or have read a proposal note with the grocery list. Some couples have even gone to the extremes to profess their eternal love to their significant other: skydiving, scuba diving, and some have even proposed marriage in a live baseball game.
You want to make your wedding proposal just as special as your special someone. You want it to be romantic and memorable, but you don’t want to make it look or sound too much like the movies. Weird and wacky is the way to go especially if your partner has a good sense of fun, humor and excitement. Here are some ways to make your wedding proposal memorable, and make your partner give you the sweetest “Yes” he or she will ever give in your lives together.
Before Doing Anything Wacky and Crazy…
Wacky, crazy, or overly-romantic wedding proposals are not for everyone. Some people may not like the shock that comes with theatrics or unconventional wedding proposals. It may not even be good for their health, especially if they have a history of heart problems or if they get easily anxious or nervous. Your partner may prefer a conventional wedding proposal, but there’s nothing wrong with popping the question in a very memorable, remarkable way.
Most establishments will be game with a wedding proposal stunt, as long as the stunt is not against the law. Check with federal and local laws before popping the question in an unconventional way.
Option 1: Rig Your Arrest
You’re not out to get yourself or your future spouse legally arrested; yet he or she broke and entered your life, and stole your heart. If it’s a particularly slow day at the neighborhood police station, or if you have a lot of friends in the police force, you may want to try something as crazy and wacky as faking your own arrest.
For this stunt, you’ll need the following:
- Friends in the police force who are willing to go along with your prank
- The police chief
- A piece of paper that looks like a warrant of arrest (remember, forgery is a crime)
- A police cruiser, handcuffs, and other police paraphernalia
- A ring, gifts, flowers, and everything else you would use in a conventional wedding proposal
- One really cheesy romantic engagement line.
Before you pull off the stunt, make sure that you’re not violating any city or state law. You also need to make sure that everyone is in on the proposal except your soon-to-be spouse. Here are the steps you need to take before you pull off the fake arrest for the person who stole your heart:
- Get a police officer friend to “arrest” you at an inconvenient time, like dinner time or right after dinner. If you’re really adventurous and you live in a secluded neighborhood, you can have the police officer over at your home at three in the morning.
- Now that your partner is flustered and confused, tell him or her to stay calm, and that you’re innocent of the “robbery” and “breaking and entering” charges. Your police officer friend will have to tell your partner that he or she will have to stay home until the station calls up for him or her to post bail or be a witness to the crime.
- At the police station, have a police officer handcuff you while you hold the bouquet and engagement ring behind your back. Meanwhile, the “arresting officer” will call up your partner and invite her to the precinct or the police station for “questioning.”
From here, your partner will come to the precinct worried, sobbing, perhaps even angry. As soon as he or she arrives, pop the question. You’ll need some cheesy lines to convince your partner to spend the rest of your life with you, but they must have something to do with your “arrest.”
The Killer Line: “Honey, I’m guilty. I’m guilty of being truly, madly, and deeply in love with you. I broke into your life, I entered your soul, I stole your heart. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I love you… will you marry me?”
Option 2: Use the Paging System
There are few things more romantic than letting the world know that you love your partner so much that you want to announce to the world that you want to get married with the person you love the most. You can use technology to your advantage, especially paging and public address (PA) systems.
If you and your partner work in a hospital, or if you can pull the right strings at the mall, then you may be able to use the PA system. Make sure it’s not a busy day, and that you have permission from the management to use the PA system. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Do it yourself. You can ask the operator to let you borrow the microphone for a few minutes while you read a short, sweet, really romantic marriage proposal to your significant other. If you want to speak through the heart, make it spontaneous. Make sure that you’re using the PA system during idle hours, and that you have the proper clearances and permissions to use it.
- Have someone do it for you. If you’re not brave enough to use the PA system on your own, or you want to make it seem even more romantic, you can have the person in charge read a small note for you. A good idea is to tell the PA operator that your partner is needed in the lobby or at the most romantic spot you can think of. As soon as your partner arrives, go down on bended knee and propose marriage.
The Killer Line: “Paging (name of your significant other)… (your full name) is looking for you. He/she found you, but he/she is afraid of losing you again. He/she wants to spend forever with you. If you’re in the premises, please head to the nearest public address system and answer this question: Will you marry me?”
Option 3: Fake a Flight
Another really romantic technique you can use is to fake a flight. Faking a flight involves a lot of preparation, especially if you need to coordinate the wedding proposal with airport authorities. Here’s how you can fake a flight, and at the same time, win the heart of the one you love:
1. Get a fake plane ticket and a boarding pass.
2. Tell your partner that maybe your current relationship will have to end soon, because you have to move somewhere permanently. Invent something realistic: your company relocated, you’ve been appointed to a different location, or that you have to move somewhere else to “find yourself.”
3. Without your partner knowing, pack your bags with your partner’s favorite flowers, the greeting cards and love letters you’ve received over time, and other treasured mementos you have of your relationship.
4. As you bid to say goodbye, prepare to enter the plane. Stop short of the entryway to the plane, and prepare yourself for the drama that’s about to unfold.
5. Drop your bags, and turn back to see your partner. Try to be dramatic with your proposal.
The Killer Line: “You know, when I said you and I will have to break up what we have now, what I really meant to say is…” Then open up your bags to show what’s inside, and pop the question: “Will you marry me?”
Popping the question does not always have to be done on bended knee right when the sun sets. There are many other interesting ways to pop the question, and one of these three ways may just get the love of your life to give you the sweetest answer you’ve been waiting for all this time: “Yes.”